Carolyn North Books
About Carolyn’s Books
Since my first book, Earth Below, Heaven Above, A Portrait of India was published in 1975, all my books have dealt with the interface between matter and spirit. In each book I focus on one of the Universal Aspects, attempting to convey through personal story the feel and images, qualities and deep truths of my subject. Every book is different, and yet I think every one of them is on the same subject, as I use my personal stories to look at the Cosmos through one of the basic lenses of reality: Polarity; the Chakra system; Synchronicity; Death and Dying; Love; Multi-dimensionality; Creativity. How can I present this information about the basic forces in language that is accessible and sensory, like a personal mythology through which to glimpse universal patterns? In the end, every one of my books is really a love story.This form of writing has been called “creative non-fiction” or “autobiographical narrative.”
- The Fringe Series: Death – The Experience of a Lifetime, Crop Circles – Hoax or Happening? and Synchronicity – The Anatomy of Coincidence
- The Musicians and the Servants: A Novel of India deals with polarity: Heaven and Earth; matter and spirit, dark and light, etc.
- Seven Movements, One Song: Memoir As Metaphor deals with the 7 energy centers, the Chakras, and how they manifest in a single life.
- The Experience of a Lifetime: Living Fully, Dying Consciously is about death, life and preparing for the passage.
- Ecstatic Relations: A Memoir is about the force of attraction, and how it manifests in humans as Love.
- Voices Out of Stone: Magic and Mystery in Megalithic Brittany is the true story of 2 women who receive lessons from the megaliths in Carnac, Brittany.
- In the Beginning: Creation Myths from Around the World is 16 fully illustrated creation myths re-told from the indigenous perspective.
- Serious Fun: Ingenious Improvisations on Money, Food, Waste, Water and Home suggests low-tech, fun ways of addressing some of the dire issues of our time.
- Wordshift Happens! Facing Down the Fear, Waking Up the Mind is the sequel to Serious Fun.
- From the Notebooks of Carolyn North: Musings on the Passing Scene (Vol. 1)