Using the Chakra System as a framework, Seven Movements, One Song is a telling of seven stories that reflect the quality and function of each of the energy centers of the body. Physical survival, sexual attraction, transformation, bonding, communication, understanding and finally spiritual vision are explored metaphorically in seven stories.
- Root Chakra: The theme of physical survival is explored in the story of the author's solitary stay on Fernandina Island, an uninhabited island in the Galapagos Archipelago, in which she tries to rescue an abandoned sealion pup.
- Sacral Chakra: This is a coming-of-age story of sexual attraction in Ravenna, Italy, with a young Italian cellist.
- Solar Plexus Chakra: The theme of taking power over one's own life is portrayed in this story of a desperate childhood in Brooklyn amongst terrified Russian-Jewish refugees.
- Heart Chakra: This story is about family bonding and learning how to love. Marriage, childbirth, motherhood, and death are all chronicled.
- Throat Chakra: This story takes place in a Psychiatric ward and is about two women patients, a Gospel singer and a suicidal teenager, who help each other heal.
- Brow Chakra: The perils and intensity of a student/teacher relationship in a Buddhist Meditation Center are the subject of this story.
- Crown Chakra: Transcendence is explored in this story of the dying process of a beloved friend, at the same time as building a dance studio to let in the light.
The stories are but seven movements of a single song – a single life – and like everyone’s stories, they resonate to the ultimate sound of the cosmos.